"All you need is water!"
"Simply Shake and Bake!"
"Cooks in the bag! No pots necessary!"
"Ready in Minutes!"
"Microwaveable Meal!"As I walk down the aisles of the local grocery, these words call out to me. I glance longingly at the hamburger helper...it would be so easy to give up trying to cook hearty homemade foods and just pick up the box. With so many options out there, cooking from a box just seems so appealing. I mean, "All you need is water!", that sounds great! But, NO! I will stay strong; there is a reason they tell you to think outside the box. The fact of the matter is: Creativity doesn't come in a box.
Today I want to feature a recipe that starts out as a simple dish from a box, but grows into something more original with a few tweaks. After all, one must first have a box in order to think their way out of it!
Bacon and Ranch Renaissance
You will need:
-1 box of Suddenly Salad Brand
Bacon and Ranch Pasta Salad
-2 medium pickles
- 3 or 4 bacon strips, cooked
-1 cup grilled chicken pieces
- Prepare the Suddenly Salad Pasta Salad as directed on the box.
- Take your pickles and cut them into small chunks. (The size is up to you but you don't want them any larger than the pieces of pasta.) Add the pickles into the pasta salad.
- Take your bacon and cut this into small pieces as well. Add to the pasta.
- Add the cup of shredded or chunked grilled chicken.
- Stir well and enjoy your plain pasta salad, revitalized!
As a student, I must say this recipe is fantastic. It requires little preparation and provides a new perspective on a boring ole' box recipe! If you want to do this at home as well, impress your parents by simply serving on a lettuce leaf. College chow to cultured cuisine!